Saturday, April 30, 2011

Why Starbucks Sucks--Coffee Taste part 1/2 (background)

Coffee-most consumed beverage behind water in the USA and second most widely traded item behind oil. We live on it.

And yet the coffee environment/community is being corrupted. Well at least, changing for the worse and it HAS changed for the worst since 1971.

When Starbucks was founded.

I have been ridiculed, well more like questioned but to me it feels like I'm a heretic for hating Starbucks. People don't understand, and actually that is part of Starbucks fault too...So many reasons. Today I'm going to just go over the taste of their coffee, not their service or employee/acquaintance treatment or even the average Starbucks customer 'sigh'.

First of all, their coffee is burnt.
If you can't tell that their coffee is burnt, do you really consider yourself a real coffee connoisseur or a person that wants the best coffee possible? This could go into the average Starbucks customer, but I don't want to do that.

"Oh NO! Why would Starbucks EVER burn there coffee? (uh what does that even mean, I mean my frappuccino is cold...not burnt..)"

Don't get me started with their "specialty drinks" either...

Coffee- it is a bean--well actually a seed, but I don't want to get into that either.
To get the delicious coffee taste--sips my cup of a little bit before full city roast--you have to roast the coffee. You have to get the perfect timing and temperature. Starbucks has +10,000 stores in the US alone, and they all get their coffee from one, single Starbucks roaster. The prime time to have fresh roasted coffee is 2-3 days after it is roasted, and that would be very hard for Starbucks to do. Actually, pretty much impossible.

Well how does Starbucks do it? They started to roast their coffee a little bit more.
Then more.
Then to today.

Their coffee is now so over-roasted, that those who may have never had Starbucks that may have always been visiting a local, not a large chain, coffee shop if they went to Starbucks, they would be repulsed by how it would taste. They would just throw it away and leave.

I wanted to do that when I went back a few weeks ago. I wasn't born a Starbucks hater. In fact, I use to praise them, there frappuchinos and macchiatos! (I will discuss specialty drinks in another article) I even had a gold card.

Then, I decided to pursue my coffee interest, my hobby. Now-I'd say passion.


Woah ok that was kind of long. At least for me typing. I'll go to the actual roasting reasons in another article.

No comments:

Post a Comment